I am so excited to be featuring Brit on my blog today! She is truly an inspiration and role model to me and I have had the pleasure of taking her classes, following her advice, and living vicariously through her newest venture HER OWN FITNESS STUDIO! I couldn’t be more thrilled to share in her dreams by supporting her new chapter, and have plans of teaching in Dallas next year myself! Stay tuned! If you are looking for advice on how to balance a career, a healthy lifestyle, and building your dream job, Brit has all the answers. Please visit her blog and her IG (@gritbybrit) page for your daily dose of fun! Thanks for sharing Brit! 2015 is gunna be HUGE.
Hi Guys! My name is Brittani, and I’m a fitness instructor/blogger/business woman. I titled my blog “GRIT by Brit” because I believe that mental grit or “passion and perseverance for long-term goals” is the key to getting everything you want out of life. As fellow fabulous wonder women, I’m sure you know that sometimes there’s just not enough time in the day to do everything on your ‘To Do” lists. If you’re like me, I’ve often found it difficult to balance work, working out, relationships, family commitments and a social life. To make matters worse, for the 2 and half years I’ve worked full-time as a traveling management consultant and part-time as a fitness instructor/wellness blogger. I just recently left my consulting career to open a fitness studio and work in fitness/wellness full-time. My dream came true! It took a long time and lot of juggling commitments to get me to this point, so I wanted to share some helpful words of wisdom that allowed me to balance everything on my plate.
While Teaching fitness classes is my absolute passion, I had to maintaining my full-time consulting career in order to pay off my student loans. When I picked up my part-time fitness instructor job at 24 hour fitness, many people told me it was impossible maintain my “side hustle” AND perform well at my demanding consulting job. I believe that where there is a will there is a way and when you enjoy what you’re doing, you naturally have more will. 1st Word of Wisdom: Don’t let your full-time job be an excuse for not pursuing your interests and passions. I actually found that my part-time gig teaching fitness classes gave me more confidence and enhanced my performance in my full time consulting job.
I’m not gonna lie, my schedule was pretty hectic (and still is), but by planning ahead and staying committed to my personal schedule everything works out. You will be amazed at what you can do when you just do it!
People ask me all the time, “how do you do it all?” Well the honest answer is, “I don’t.” I’ve learned that I have to prioritize the things that really matter and push everything else to the wayside. 2nd Word of Wisdom: If everything is important, nothing is important. This means I had to give up a lot of “kinda important” activities like going to every single happy hour I’m invited to or watching TV during the week (I know – harsh). I still make time for a social life and down time, but now I’m much better at saying “No” to things I don’t really wanna do or activities that aren’t critical to reaching my goals. One thing I didn’t give up is my workout routine. Over the years I’ve learned that pushing myself through intense physical fitness enhances all aspects of my life – my corporate career, relationships, spirituality and mental health. That said, I’ve found it very helpful to create and follow a weekly workout schedule. Just like I write down the due dates of my bills, I write down the due date of my leg workouts. I find that having a clear exercise schedule keeps me committed because I can prioritize my workouts and plan around them.
One word of caution – I’ve found that there’s a fine line between being committed to my workouts and being obsessed with them. I have to admit; I use to be a little obsessed. But now I’ve found a healthy balance. There are 5 habits in particular that helped me find this healthy middle ground. So to conclude this post, I want leave you with 5 Final Words of Wisdom that have helped me maintain a healthy lifestyle:
- Workout in the mornings – You never know what will come about it the evening – dinner plans, late night at work, feeling groggy, etc. I’ve found that a morning workout routine is better for staying committed to my exercise goals.
- Make a weekly workout schedule – Each day you plan to workout, write down the date, time and type of workout in your day planner and be sure to show up for it just like you would for a business meeting.
- Pack healthy snacks – When I’m traveling a lot for work I always pack 3 apples 3 oranges and 3 low sugar protein bars. Having these snacks handy deters from impulse junk food purchases when I’m starving. Also, every now and then I’ll swap out dinner for a protein bar.
- Go to bed early – Late night snacking is the devil. The good thing is, late night snacking can’t happen if you go to bed early. Also getting adequate sleep ensures I’m ready for my long days at the office and my workouts!
- Travel with a water bottle – Hydration is SO important for clear skin, a fast metabolism, high energy and good overall health. Drinking lots of water also curbs your appetite. I’ve found that drinking at least 2 liters of water per day is the perfect amount for me. I highly recommend increasing your water intake.
Alright gang – that’s the end! I know I’ve said I lot, but I really hope these words of wisdom are as helpful to you as they are to me. Be encouraged and know that even though it’s challenging to balance all of life’s demands, when you have grit and discipline you can pursue your dreams AND live a healthy lifestyle!
All the best. Luv, Brit